Advocating for the creation of open, interoperable, secure & compassionate digital infrastructure to enable people to control their own digital destiny and to maintain their human dignity online
Blockchain Commons works with developer communities to design, build, and maintain secure & compassionate decentralized architectures & tools for digital assets & digital identity based on responsible key management; based on our Gordian Principles of independence, privacy, resilience, and openness; and based on our Self-Sovereign Identity Principles. Our goal is to reclaim human dignity & authority in the digital world. We also strive to educate & grow the blockchain community through online courses and our work with legislators and regulators.
Blockchain Commons is proudly a “not-for-profit” social benefit corporation, domiciled in Wyoming but operating world-wide. We have a strong commitment to open source and a defensive patent strategy: anyone can use or improve our tools, and no one can take them away.
Read more about Blockchain Commons’ vision & objectives.
- 2023-09-26: Musings of a Trust Architect: Least & Necessary Design Patterns
- 2023-09-06: Self-Sovereign Computing
- 2023-08-09: Musings of a Trust Architect: The Origins of Self-Sovereign Identity
- 2023-07-11: 2023 Q2 Blockchain Commons Report
- 2023-07-04: Deterministic CBOR Goes to IETF
- 2023-06-01: Protecting Your Wellness Data with Hashed Elision
- 2023-05-11: The Dangers of Digital Credentials in Education
See the complete posts archive.
This video overviews many of our specifications and other initiatives:
The Blockchain Commons projects are built atop the Gordian Architecture, the Gordian Specifications, and our Gordian Use Cases. They include developer support and reference apps, plus events, educational projects, advocacy projects, and open infrastructure projects.
See the complete list of Blockchain Commons’ projects.
- Gordian Developer Community. For standards and open-source developers who want to talk about interoperable wallet specifications, please use the Discussions area of the Gordian Developer Community repo. This is where you talk about Gordian specifications such as Gordian Envelope, bc-shamir, Sharded Secret Key Reconstruction, and bc-ur as well as the larger Gordian Architecture, its Principles of independence, privacy, resilience, and openness, and its macro-architectural ideas such as functional partition (including airgapping, the original name of this community).
- Gordian User Community. For users of the Gordian reference apps, including Gordian Coordinator, Gordian Seed Tool, Gordian Server, Gordian Wallet, and SpotBit as well as our whole series of CLI apps. This is a place to talk about bug reports and feature requests as well as to explore how our reference apps embody the Gordian Principles.
- Blockchain Commons Discussions — for developers, interns, and patrons of Blockchain Commons, please use the discussions area of the Community repo to talk about general Blockchain Commons issues, the intern program, or topics other than Gordian Development or Usage.
If you are interested in actively developing our interoperable specs such as Collaborative Seed Recovery and Gordian Envelope, please also join our Signal groups or mailing lists.
Thank you to the following companies who have become sustaining sponsors .
We are a member of COPA , the Crypto Open Patent Alliance. We believe in open software and open access to patents covering foundational cryptocurrency techniques.